Sunday, February 2, 2014

Homemade Air Freshener


Homemade Air Freshener


I have been thinking for quite awhile about making some air freshener, but I did not get around to make any. It is very handy for a family with small children, specially if you are still potty training a couple of the babies.


So today needing a gift for a birthday, I got the courage to make a batch. So far, I have to admit it smells and looks good.


Materials needed:

Small jars (I have plenty of babyfood bottles, so I used those. A good way to recycle ;) )
Wooden spatula (I used waxing sticks)
Measuring spoon 




Ingredients:

Unflavored Gelatin (I use Knox gelatin)
Food coloring
Water
Essential oil (I used lavender )


Preparation:

I put my bottles out and open the tops (don't through the caps away, you will need those). I opened my gelatin packages and emptied one in each bottle. 



Then poured 60ml of boiled water (had just boiled in teakettle) in each bottle and quickly stirred the gelatin in the boiled water (if you can get all the gelatin mixed, it would be good. I got some lumps in the water, I could not melt all the gelatin in the water. I think next time I might use a small whisk or fork for mixing). 

I put three drops of food coloring in each bottle and stirred. And added 60ml of cold water in each bottle and stirred some more with spatula. 


As you can see from the picture, there are some lumps in the liquid. 
Since the mix is not too hot and not hard, it is the best time to add the essential oil. I added 10 drops of lavender in each bottle. Then I placed my bottles on a tray and put them in the fridge as I needed them to cool off and get jellied sooner (the upcoming party in about 2 hours).  You can just let them sit over night and it would be jellied in the morning and ready to use.



Now you can see, the mix is jellied and staying in its place, put the cap back and package it however your want it. I just wrapped a strip of gift wrap around the bottle to make it more presentable. 



When you want to use it, you can just make holes on the cap for the scent to spread around your bathroom etc or you can just take the cap off.


No comments:

Post a Comment